1. What‘s the day job?
I am a Sales and Marketing Manager for an Air Conditioning and maintenance company
2. How do you fit in Roller Derby with your home life?
My hubby is really great. He’s very understanding and looks after the children whilst I go training. He knows how important it is for me. It is a bit tiring working full time and juggling derby with family life but we work it between us.
3. How long have you been a member of BBD?
Just over three very happy years
4. How/Why did you choose your Derby name?
I wanted a name that was cute but also tough. I went through lots of different ideas. I tested the water with people and they liked it. When it was shortened to Cinders I knew it was the right choice.
5. What’s the best thing about being a Dame?
God, there are so many things. I love how everyone is there for you when you need it the most. You get love and support and an understanding that’s unfathomable. I love how different we all are yet we are united by Derby. I love how I’ve become friends with people who are the polar opposite of me. It’s great!
6. It’s a tough sport – have you had any major injuries?
Not really derby related although I’ve had a few concussions from big hits to the head. Other than that, nothing really.
7. What’s your position in the Dames?
A Team Jammer
8. Does the company you work for support your involvement in the Dames?
When I applied for my job I accidentally sent my joke Roller Derby CV. It’s that what made them employ me.
They are very supportive of my sport and don’t mind when I turn up for work covered in bruises, and are very flexible if I need to take time off to go to oversea’s games.
9. How do your family feel about your involvement with Derby? do they worry about injury etc?
My mom is really against it and will not discuss Roller Derby with me. She has no idea just how far I have come.
My hubby however is really proud and and my daughter sees me as a superhero and tells all her friends about it.
10. With #ThisGirlCan BBD have had ‘fresh meat’ days to expand the Dames – how do you feel about this batch of Rookies?
I think the Rookies have been amazing. I always love the enthusiasm that comes with newbie days. This intake in particular seem to already have a fantastic skill set. Its brilliant.
11. What is it about Derby that is so addictive?
Everything! I love the fact it’s helped me get fit and lose weight. I love the adrenaline rush when I play. I love my team and how much we support each other. It’s fun.